Transferring to the UC College of Medicine
Thank you for your interest in Cincinnati Medicine. At this time, transfer applications will not be accepted for the 2019-2020 academic year.
Transfer applications to the UC College of Medicine are only accepted into the third year of the College of Medicine curriculum. The number of acceptances offered is based upon space availability in the Year III class. Requirements to apply are outlined in this .pdf and below. Please check back each spring if you remain interested in transferring into the UC College of Medicine.
In order to be considered for transfer to the UC College of Medicine, applicants must:
- Request transfer into the third year only.
- Currently be enrolled in a U.S. allopathic medical school accredited by the Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME).
- Be in good standing at their current medical school.
- Have completed and passed all coursework for the first and second years of medical school (including a physical diagnosis/clinical component).
- Have sat for the United States Medical Licensing Examination (USMLE) Step I exam prior to the start of classes (mid-June).
Preference is given to Ohio residents and students who have a compassionate reason to relocate to Cincinnati.
Q: If I attend a non-US medical school, can I apply for transfer to the University of Cincinnati College of Medicine?
- The University of Cincinnati College of Medicine only accepts transfers from students enrolled in U.S. allopathic medical schools that are accredited by the Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME). We do not consider applicants whose medical schools are "recognized" by LCME or who are outside of the U.S.; applicants must attend a U.S. allopathic medical school and accredited by the LCME.
Q: If I am selected to interview, when would my interviews occur?
- Transfer interviews are conducted in April.
Q: If I am accepted, when would I begin classes?
- Classes begin in late June of each year, during the Year III intersession.
Q: If I am accepted as a transfer student to the University of Cincinnati College of Medicine, how will my Year III clerkships be scheduled?
- Year III Clerkships of transfer students are scheduled individually with the Registrar (after acceptance) as part of the Orientation process.
Q: What can I expect after being accepted to the transfer program?
- An official orientation is scheduled with each transfer student. This orientation includes a variety of scheduling and logistical meetings and is scheduled to occur no later than the Friday preceding the first day of Year III classes.