Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
The University of Cincinnati is committed to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) initiatives. As part of a joint effort to increase diversity in healthcare, the University of Cincinnati Department of Anesthesiology formed a DEI committee in 2021. We welcome individuals of all races and ethnicities, sexual and gender identities, religions, and abilities.
Embracing our differences to impact change.
We have a global vision for recruitment, retention, and inclusion of qualified underrepresented staff and students.
To develop diversity amongst our workplace and better represent the community we serve.
To design and implement initiatives, educational opportunities, and events that foster cultural sensitivity, cultural humility, and inclusion for the Department of Anesthesiology.
To break down barriers and address health disparities among our underrepresented patients caused by systemic racism, social injustice, and inequality.
To address biases in medicine and educate on health disparities to improve care to our minority and all underrepresented patients.
To promote open dialogue regarding racism, equality vs equity, and discrimination.
To empower and mentor our underrepresented faculty, residents, students, and staff for professional development and equitable success.
To help with our vision, our DEI committee members take an active role in addressing each aspect of our vision to facilitate change.
Initiatives and Programs
Representative positions are available for interested staff and students to join the committee to promote inclusion and innovative thinking.
Regularly planned meetings to discuss topics and how to facilitate education in our department.
Our DEI initiatives include:
- Grand round presentations throughout the entire department to address biases in medicine, health care disparities, and racism.
- Past presentations:
- Systemic Racism in Healthcare
- The Silent Epidemic: Disparities in Maternal Morbidity and Mortality
- Transgender Medicine
- Past presentations:
- Journal club discussions with articles dealing with biases, discrimination, healthcare disparities.
- Educational materials and links that address sensitive topics.
- Resident and student DEI gatherings to promote inclusivity and establish a safe place.
- Diverse Recruitment from the medical and nursing student levels into the field of anesthesia
- Faculty mentoring into leadership roles