Research, scholarly pursuits, clinical and service experiences are an important aspect of any medical student’s training.
Medical students may conduct scholarly activity at any time during their training. However, the summer after the first year of medical school is an ideal time to engage in these activities.
The University of Cincinnati College of Medicine maintains a database of current research, scholarly, clinical and service opportunities that students can refer to at any time. The list includes positions at the University of Cincinnati, other local programs, as well as programs nationwide. Listings include both summer programs and year-long opportunities and are divided into Internal (UC/CCHMC) Research and External Research options. Other resources available to students interested in research and scholarly activity include:
- Identifying a research mentor provides medical students with additional information on potential faculty mentors based on areas of interest. Individual faculty pictures can then be highlighted to provide additional details, including contact information.
- The UC Research Directory allows users to enter keywords or search for UC experts based on last name, grant funding, or type of studies conducted.
- The Medical Scientist Training Program also maintains a list of UCCOM/CCHMC faculty and their research projects.
- Medical students can also identify researchers with active research support through NIH Reporter using Cincinnati as the search term in the “City” field. This approach only identifies researchers with active NIH research support and does not include non-US government, foundation, private, or industry-sponsored grants or funding.
Additional information can be found on the Office of Research page including research portfolios for all COM departments.
Summer Opportunities Series moves to October 2022
Summer Opportunities Week includes several events that provide first-year students the chance to identify where their own research and service interests lie. First-year medical students hear from program directors, potential mentors, and service program directors highlighting a variety of local research and service opportunities. Later in the week, a peer mentor panel shares information, advice, and details about their own research and service experiences.
Introduction to 2023 Summer Opportunities Presentation
RIRC Research Nuts and Bolts Recorded Presentation
Medical Student Grand Rounds Keynote Speaker
Research and Service Symposium Poster Session
|Research Mixer sponsored by RIRC|
An informal meet-and-greet for enthusiastic first-year medical students and potential mentors.
Summer Opportunities Peer Panel Discussion
Research and Service Symposium
The annual Research and Service Symposium is co-sponsored by the Internal Medicine Interest Group and the Office of Student Affairs. It provides an opportunity for second-year medical students to showcase and present their summer research and service experience while allowing first-year medical students and the College of Medicine community to learn about what they have done.
- 2022 Research and Service Symposium Abstract Instructions
- 2022 Judges' Rubric
- For additional questions about the Research and Service Symposium, contact the Internal Medicine Interest Group.
Amy Thompson MD
Director of Medical Student Research Initiatives
Medical Sciences Building 4556C
231 Albert Sabin Way
Cincinnati, OH 45267-0526
CARE/Crawley Building E870
3290 Eden Avenue
Cincinnati, OH 45267-0555