Skip to main content

Division of Female Pelvic Medicine & Reconstructive Surgery

About the Division
Welcome to the Division of Female Pelvic Medicine and Reconstructive Surgery (FPMRS).  Physicians specializing in FPMRS are also called urogynecologists. This is a relatively new medical subspecialty of either Obstetrics and Gynecology or Urology.

Our division focuses on using state-of-the-art diagnostic modalities, including multichannel urodynamics and cystoscopy, for all types pelvic floor disorders including accidental bowel or bladder leakage or lost vaginal support.  We incorporate ongoing research into our clinical practice, as well as into the academic encounters we share with medical students, residents in obstetrics and gynecology and fellows in FPMRS.

The Female Pelvic Medicine and Reconstructive Surgery division within the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology offers a leading team of compassionate practitioners with advanced training in the full range of pelvic floor conditions. With a superior level of expertise, advanced technology, innovative treatments and personalized care plans, our goal is to return every woman to optimal health.

What is a Urogynecologist?
A urogynecologist is trained to care for women with pelvic floor disorders.  The pelvic floor includes the muscles, ligaments, connective tissue and nerves that support and control the rectum, uterus, vagina and bladder.  The pelvic floor can be damaged by childbirth, repeated heavy lifting, and chronic disease or surgery.

What Kind of Training Does a Urogynecologist Have?
Urogynecologists have completed medical school and a residency in Obstetrics and Gynecology or Urology.  Additional training is obtained following residency (i.e. fellowship) in the evaluation and treatment of conditions that affect the female pelvic organs and the muscles and connective tissue that support those organs.  That additional training focuses on the non-surgical and surgical treatment of non-cancerous gynecologic problems.

When Should I See a Urogynecologist?
Although your primary care physician or OB/GYN may have knowledge about these problems, a urogynecologist can offer additional expertise.  You should see (or be referred to) a urogynecologist when you have problems of lost vaginal support or bothersome accidental bowel or bladder leakage or when your primary doctor recommends consultation.

Other problems for which you or your doctor might think about consulting a urogynecologist include: problems with emptying the bladder or rectum, pelvic pain and the need for special expertise in minimally-invasive surgery (laparoscopic or vaginal).

Directory Search
Intranet Login

Contact Us

Department of
Obstetrics and Gynecology

Medical Sciences Building Room 7254
231 Albert Sabin Way
Mail Location: 0526
Cincinnati, OH 45267-0526

Patient Care Office
Phone: 513-475-8248
Fax: 513-475-4598