Criteria and Nomination Instructions
The Daniel Drake Medal is the highest recognition the College of Medicine can bestow on its former students, faculty, and residents or current faculty. It is awarded to living individuals who have been associated with the College of Medicine at present or in the past. Nominees are evaluated on the basis of outstanding scholarly achievements in biomedical science as evidenced by major significant contributions to medical research and/or a distinguished career as a clinician-teacher. Generally, two awards are given annually.
To be eligible, a nominee must meet one of the following criteria:
- Be a graduate of the University of Cincinnati College of Medicine
- Have received a Ph.D. degree from one of the programs of the College of Medicine
- Have been a member of the College of Medicine faculty for five or more years
- Have completed a residency or fellowship in a College of Medicine program sponsored by the University of Cincinnati Medical Center or Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center
Each nomination should include:
- A nomination letter which indicates as specifically as possible the accomplishments of the candidate
- A completed nomination form further describing the candidate’s attributes
- A copy of the nominee’s curriculum vita Supporting external letters of recommendation (at least 2 but no more than 5) concerning the candidate
- The candidate’s NIH biosketch
In judging nominees, importance will be given to recognition by prestigious professional societies and other national or international organizations of an individual’s unusual and productive talents and the impact of his/her contributions, not only on the strength and reputation of the College of Medicine, but on basic and clinical health-related research generally in the United States and internationally.
The committee also will be considering those who have been nominated in the past who have not received the award. If you will be nominating someone who has been previously nominated, please submit an updated nomination letter.
Nominations are being solicited from members of the College of Medicine faculty, alumni, emeriti, past Daniel Drake medalists, and former associates of the College through January 31, 2021. Shortly after the close of nominations, there will be a review of all nominees received by the Selection Committee. After consideration of the nominees, the Committee will recommend several candidates to the Dean, who makes the final decision. Medal recipients will be notified by the Dean and will receive their medals during the Honors Day program on Saturday, May 22, 2021. Medal recipients also will be honored during the annual Daniel Drake event.
Drake Nominations for 2020 have concluded. Please check back on January 31, 2021, for the opportunity to nominate someone for their outstanding achievements & contributions.