Welcome to the
Cardiovascular Health and Disease
Richard C. Becker, MD, FAHA: Director and Physician-in-Chief
The University of Cincinnati Cardiovascular Health and Disease, a collaboration of the UC College of Medicine, UC Health and University of Cincinnati Colleges of allied Health is a multi-disciplinary, inter-disciplinary and multi-dimensional home
for advanced education and innovative research for complex heart and circulation diseases, disorders and conditions. Employing integrated centers of excellence and programs of distinction, the HCI stands alone amidst non-academic institutes and academic
institutes with unidimensional capabilities.
- Richard C. Becker, MD
- Sakthivel Sadayappan, PhD, MBA
- Christy K. Holland, PhD
- Kevin Haworth, PhD
- A. Phillip Owens, PhD
- Donald Lynch, MD
- Sherri Noonan, MHA, BRST, CNMT, RT (N)
- Lana Roberson
- Mindy John
- Sharon Geiger
The overarching mission for the UC Heart and Circulation Research Institute is to:
- Educate clinicians and scientists who will become future researchers and academic leaders.
- Conduct cutting-edge clinical, population and in silico research.
- Accelerate the translation of basic and clinical discoveries to optimize patient care.
- Create a virtual home for entrepreneurs who will push the boundaries of imagination and creativity.
- Impact trainees, physicians, investigators and ultimately, patients throughout the world.
The HCRI will transform advanced education and research to benefit healthcare society. Our aspiration is to influence the health of patients by:
- Making important advances in biomedical science.
- Fostering a multidisciplinary and programmatic-based environment that unites our efforts to prevent illness and treat disease.
- Translating research discoveries into clinical practice.
- Addressing health disparities in our community through point-of-impact research and intervention.
- Sharing our vision and advances locally, regionally and nationally through wide-reaching research programs and collaborations.
- Training future scientists, scholars and academic leaders who will carry our mission forward.
- Investing in technologies, tools, infrastructure, and people- the foundations of success.
The UC Cardiovascular Health and Disease is a multi-dimensional and multi-disciplinary organization that includes: a director, chief science officer, executive administrative director, entrepreneur liaison, internal advisory board, and external advisory board. Members of the leadership and advisory boards will include representation from the Division of Cardiovascular Health and Disease, Departments within the College of Medicine, and each Allied Health College. The UC HLVI leadership reports to the College of Medicine Dean and Health
System CEO. The organizational structure is designed to be inclusive, transparent, and responsive to the University, COM, Health System, and community. Our operations and priorities assure mission alignment for the HLVI with the COM, Allied Health
Colleges, UC Health System, Department Chairs, Cincinnati Cancer Center, Gardner Neurosciences Institute, and Co-Directors of the Cincinnati Children’s Heart Institute.
Climate and Culture
The Leadership and Administrative (LEAP) Committee is a pillar for the HLVI and its relationships with the University of Cincinnati College of Medicine, Allied Health Colleges, and our community, public, private and academic stakeholders. Members include
faculty and staff from the Office of Diversity and Inclusion, Office of Gender Equity and Inclusion, and the Office of Equal Opportunity and Access. The LEAP Committee honors the tenet that equity and inclusion foster the pillars of the community: Belonging,
Agency, Cultural Competence, and Accountability.